Data centre firm Schneider Electric has today released its sustainability framework for environmentally sustainable data centres. The industry-first framework proposes five areas of environmental impact inclusive of key metrics for data centre operators in various stages of their sustainability journeys.
It also allows operators to mitigate the impact data centres have on the environment, the company claims.
Pankaj Sharma, Executive Vice President, Secure Power Division, Schneider Electric, said: “Environmental sustainability reporting is a growing focus for many data centre operators. Yet, the industry lacks a standardised approach for implementing, measuring, and reporting on environmental impact. Schneider Electric developed a holistic framework with standardised metrics to guide operators and the industry at large. Our intention with this framework is to improve benchmarking and progress toward environmental sustainability to protect natural resources for future generations.”
“The data centre industry has made significant progress in increasing energy efficiency; however, as digital demands increase they must remain committed to driving long-term broader sustainability initiatives,” said Rob Brothers, Program Vice President for the Datacenter and Support Services Program at IDC.
“You can’t have an impact on what you don’t measure; therefore, companies must establish clear and consistent metrics that account for not only efficient technology, but also the consumption (or possible destruction) of natural resources such as water, land and biodiversity,” he added.
Data Centre Sustainability Metrics Drive Sustainability Strategy
Tracking and reporting on standardised sustainability metrics helps drive internal team alignment improvements and increases transparency for external stakeholders, including customers and regulators. Implementing this framework also allows data centre operators to:
- Remove the difficulty of selecting impactful metrics for tracking
- Improve communication and alignment with internal teams on sustainability objectives
- Act on the data to improve operations
- Enable regular and consistent reporting for external stakeholders (investors, regulators, potential employees, etc.
- Standardise benchmarking across industry peers around the globe
Schneider Electric works with leading technology companies and colocation providers to design, build, operate, and maintain facilities. It is the only digital partner that offers solutions for power, building, IT, and sustainability facets of the business.
- Precision Liquid Cooling: A Cost-Saving Solution for TelcosCritical Environments
- Yondr Group: A Commitment to ‘Future Ready’ Data CentresData Centres
- How the Data Centre Market in Norway is Leading by DesignCritical Environments
- Data Centre Veteran joins DigitalBridge to Expand PortfolioData Centres